Friday, January 10, 2014

A wee sea adventure and future plans.

Recent wild weather at Irvine
Over the Christmas /New Year break I have been studying the wind speed forecasts in Irvine closely.  I do not like going out in ma wee boat unless the wind-speed is less than 20MPH.


Selfie with one of the catch
I got my chance on Wednesday , but there were still waves around 6 ft high. Set my crab traps without too much trouble and left them there all night.


 Heading back into Irvine harbor , in the pitch dark at 5pm ,I heard a whoosh under the boat and I lost power to my main engine. I had run over a large thick plastic coal sack that has wrapped around the propeller . Threw out the anchor to stop  from being washed up on the rocks. Got the auxiliary outboard going , hauled in the a anchor and my wee motor cut out. Slung the anchor over again , more prayer this time for the motor to run. Hauled up the anchor and landed all safe. Took a long time to cut all the plastic away from the main engine.

Yesterday was almost windless , and  a very nice gap in the recent storms we have had. Found my buoys OK and hauled up my 5 traps . Was praying for a lobster , but the Lord gave me 11 nice crabs. Got back OK with no engine troubles this time .

 Then I  went to my friends the McInneses where Arlene cooked my catch for me. Then Jimmy , Arlene and myself had one crab each for lunch. Left them a few crabs.

Total catch
That evening I shared 4 crags with
 my old friend Reggie. This man used
to be the town drunk in Ayr for many
 years. I first met him in 1988. He has
 been off the drink now for 11 years.
 He came to our Christmas evening
 carol service.


Ma wee boat.

Reggie  and meal
On Tuesday next week I fly to Phoenix , Arizona , USA for a meeting connected to my UN work.



Then on 19 January I plan to fly back to New York. There I shall loiter around the UN building.


The NGO committee hearings are 27 Jan to 5 Feb. I will have some helpers coming to this , more news on this later.



Then on 3 Feb my boss John Smeaton and his wife Josephine will be at the UN with me, I had better behave that day !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment